Cockington Rose Garden
Cockington village was probably founded 2,500 years ago during the Iron Age with evidence of two hill forts on either side of Cockington valley. Little is known about Cockington from that point up until the remains of a small Saxon village were found near the Drum Inn. (The Drum Inn is the local pub/restaurant in Cockington. Designed by Edwin Lutyens, it opened in 1936 to replace the old ale-house.) The evidence from this village shows that it was primarily a fishing and farming village. Cockington manor was owned by Alric the Saxon, before William Hostiarus, William de Falesia and Robert FitzMartin, who passed it down to his son Roger, who renounced his name to become Roger de Cockington. The Cockington family owned Cockington Estate from 1048–1348. The Cary family owned the court from 1375 to 1654. It was then sold to the Mallock family a family of rich silversmiths from Exeter, who owned it from 1654 to 1932 when they sold the estate.
To see how the print will look in different frames go to the Cockington section of the website and select this image, make a selection in the dropdown boxes and the image will change to show your selection. Or click on the image for a larger view.
All prints are limited editions of 395 and come mounted in a neutral vanilla mount, framed prints are glazed with acrylic and come ready to hang with fixings. Due to the nature of natural mouldings sizes may vary slightly. For more information about framing options and sizes click here
Uk orders only : for international orders we can post out artwork in a postal tube, email us for a quote..
All prints of this image are hand signed and numbered by the Artist Craig Long.